A center for women
organized to enrich lives
through philanthropic action
and educational opportunities

The Cincinnati Woman's Club 1894-1936

  • Club founded – March 26, 1894
  • 1st benefit was organized for Berea College – 1894–1895
  • Organized the CWC Pearl Street Playground and Bathhouses – 1897
  • Organized Vacation Schools –1898
  • Funded a Matron for the Women’s Prison – 1898
  • Provided three scholarships for Art Academy students – 1900
  • Sponsored and maintained CWC Parks, created the 1st Public Park in 1901, and then transitioned it to the Cincinnati Park Commission
  • Instituted the Penny School Lunch program
  • Oak Street Club House opens – February 7, 1910
  • Provided the 1st Christmas tree and lights for Fountain Square – 1913
  • The Club initiates an annual gift in memory of deceased Club members – 1914
    • The first gift was given to the Terrace Park Fresh Air Farm
    • The gifts have increased over the years from $100 to $5,000
  • The Club becomes a Red Cross unit during WWI – 1917
  • Other WWI efforts included setting up a Red Cross sewing unit, adopting Base Hospital Unit 25, making bandages, and making knitting, clothing, and book donations
  • The Club Philanthropic Fund created – May 8, 1925
  • Established the Emergency Milk Fund – 1925
  • The 1st Club scholarship awarded ­– 1927

RETURN TO 125TH ANNIVERSARY PAGE