The Cincinnati Woman’s Club was founded in 1894 by seven talented and accomplished women: Susannah Bailey Gest, Annie Laws, Sophia Beadle Mallon, Margaret Monfort Morehead, Clara Chipman Newton, Mary Prudence Wells Smith, and Katherine Bartlett Yergason.
These visionary leaders not only had a dream, they also created the structure to turn their dream into reality. The founders had been inspired with the idea of starting the Club as a result of their work together on the Chicago World’s Fair of 1893, also called the Columbian Exposition, in honor of the 400th anniversary of Columbus’s discovery of America. (The Exposition failed to open on time in 1892, but the theme remained.)
The Cincinnati Woman’s Club continues to promote educational, philanthropic, and artistic growth in the community. Among some early successes of the Club were the introduction of neighborhood playgrounds and the establishment of school gardens.
The purpose of The Cincinnati Woman’s Club is expressed in its motto:
Let us be such as help the life of the future.
Today the Club continues to emphasize both education and philanthropy, still adhering to the course set in 1894. Members can take advantage of more than 400 educational programs every year and participate in a wide range of philanthropic activities. The Cincinnati Woman’s Club members continue to work for the life of the future every day.